If you are going to destroy a Church, or expose their corruption, you don't do it by arguing from your perspective, but rather by going right to the core of their perspective. The doctrine of the LDS Church is correct. So why then have 13 million members up and left the Church? It is because they did not and could not replicate the doctrine they were taught which was a false doctrine. Members need to study the Book of Mormon, they cannot just read, then pray, and expect to be given a testimony that the book is true. Oliver Cowdery was chastised over this exact same assumption with translation. One must study, period. Members of the Church however are not taught how to study. The CES manuals do not cover all aspects required for a thorough study. As a result people give talks where they explain a passage of scripture incorrectly. Did they refer to the Greek text for a New Testament passage, for example? Pres. Nelson in Oct. 2017 General Conference counseled members to study the Book of Mormon and gave examples of how to do it. Here, I'm going to show the identifiers of corrupt authority. All of these identifiers are found in the Book of Mormon. This list is however not complete, I got frustrated with the Spirit for constant inspiration for more items to add.
2. Justifying sinful behavior. The Lord tells us directly that no unclean thing can enter into the Kingdom of Heaven, that the least degree of sin is not tolerated. So when you hear leaders say they are not "perfect" and that we should excuse their imperfections, that should send up warning flags. No one is justified in committing sin, period. Not spelling a word correctly, or being fashion conscious are not examples of sin or imperfection. King Noah justified sinful behavior of his Priests and his subjects so that he could justify his sinful behavior.
3. Demanding sustaining approval. Laman, as the oldest brother was the heir to the family throne and demanded that because of his position he was justified in demanding that Nephi sustain him. Leaders can only be sustained in righteousness, not in wickedness.
4. Promoting Church over doctrine. This is similar to a government promoting Nationalism over Constitution and Rights and often Nationalism is called Patriotism. It's where the governing body is promoted over the original doctrines that were established. This is manifest by claims that "the Church is true" or in the exhortation for others to "follow the standards of the Church". Alma the younger went around trash talking the Church because he couldn't trash talk the doctrine. Thus in reverse you are like Alma when you promote the Church over doctrine. Also the Nephite leaders altered the Laws of the land and the Church, which justified sinful behavior.
5. False accusations. The Priests of King Noah falsely accused Abinadi of being a national threat and crazy for speaking out against the sinful behavior of the King, the Priests and the people. Abinadi's accusations were not false, but the defensive position the people and leaders took toward Abinadi for speaking the truth was wrong. Thus goes the saying, that which you falsely accuse in another reveals the same and worse fault in yourself. The beam and mote concept indicates that you must first stop your sinful behavior before you can then accuse others of sinful behavior.
6. Beyond Judgment. We must make judgments in order to identify correct moral behavior. To claim that no one can judge a person for their sins is illogical. There are no grey areas, sin is sin. If thine eye be dark, how great is that darkness? No one is beyond judgment.
7. Covering up sin and crime. Section 121 of the Doctrine and Covenants is very clear, one loses authority when they justify and cover up sin of themselves or of others. When someone confesses to a crime, a leader must report the crime to the government authorities. It's covering up sin and crimes that justifies people in suing the Church, not just the perpetrator of the sin or crime.
8. Non-transparency. Leaders must divulge the plans, operations, and the finances of the Church. To have closed-door meetings and to keep the financial information of revenue generated and how the money is spent is equal to covering up sin and crime. The Secret Combinations of the Band of Gadianton were non-transparent.
9. Surrounding oneself with supporters. King Noah replaced the Priests with new Priests whom supported Noah and his beliefs. In the LDS Church, Elder Scott was the first non-Pioneer family associated Apostle, and Pres. Uchtdorf is the first foreign Apostle. Nepotism is when a leader surrounds himself with relatives. It's a corruption called favoritism. It is also utilized in mob mentality. Creation of thought can only occur by listing to different thoughts. Where everyone is thinking the same there can be no progress.
10. Promotion of Contradictions. With an establishment of doctrines and even policies and procedures, when one promotes an interpretation that is contrary to the original intended interpretation there arises contradictions of doctrine. The Book of Mormon, Articles of Faith, and the Doctrine and Covenants tell us that it was Adam who was tempted by Satan and fell, not Eve; so to promote the Biblical tradition, even to appeal to the Selection From the Book of Moses, that it was Eve who fell, contradicts the original position of Joseph Smith. With contradictions you then have apologies to defend the incorrect position. In this case it would be to elevate Eve's roll and importance and diminish Adam's roll.
11. Bribery. In the Church bribery doesn't always consist in the giving of money. Most often it is the giving of positions of authority and status. The purpose for bribery is to control the individual, such that if the person were to get out of control, then extortion would be exacted to remind them that they owe loyalty because of the bribe they accepted. People must freely give without expecting anything in return.
12. Altered Definitions. What is the definition of a "testimony"? What is the definition of "charity"? What is the definition of "pornography"? Don't just appeal to only those who will give you the definition you believe, or to the majority opinion. Definitions have an origin that were fixed in their meaning, yet over thousands of years mankind has altered definitions, such that words that used to be harmless, now have a negative meaning. Just in the last couple of hundred years of the United States alone, we have altered the definitions of many words. Did you know that pornography's modern definition came from the Evangelicals of the early 1900's? Did you know that the definition in commonplace in the LDS Church is the Christian altered definition, that of testimony? And did you know that Mormons themselves have altered the definition of charity, whereas everyone else instead corrected the incorrect translation of charity to its correct translation and definition? Churches cannot alter definitions in order to control the minds of the members into alternative doctrines.
13. Silencing opposition. A Church cannot silence protests and claims of wrongdoing by silencing them. Excommunication or threats to excommunicate are the tools of corrupt leadership. You cannot label a person an apostate and hold a Church Court because they disagree with you or because they are accusing you a sin or crime. This is a type of method to cover up one's sins or crimes. Does the accused get to present evidence of their innocence??? Do they get to present their appealing argument to the First Presidency and the Quorum of the 12??? Are the Court proceedings transparent??? Are the accused forced to sign a non-disclosure agreement??? Are the members left wondering what the individual did wrong, so that they might know so as not to repeat or commit the same wrong??? Are statements by the Church political generalizations or are they specific as to the details???
To be continued...